Just as we were figuring out how to perfect glazed donut nails, the trend officially started dying down. That's not to say we don't still approve of the shimmery, glossy manicure that monopolized fingernails for months, but we would be remiss not to introduce you to a new class of nail designs for spring that are here to usher in the season.
The latest 2023 nail trends start with inspiration from both viral TikTok manicures and timeless classics — and then become fresh with a modern twist. For example, French manicures are getting scaled back: Nail artists have been painting on a micro-French look, featuring a pencil thin tip, instead of the usual half-moon shape.
And, of course, a more colorful palette than the one we saw all winter has arrived on the scene, though it’s not in the finish you might expect. “Usually when spring comes people tend to get pastel nails,” says nail artist Zola Ganzorigt whose clients include Hailey Bieber and Vanessa Hudgens. She predicts that will hold true for this year too, though, Ganzorigt says we can expect to see lavender, sky blue, and mint green nails take on pearlized or velvet finishes, rather than your standard glossy cream.
Ahead, more experts share the top nail looks they predict will be all over our feeds this spring.
Meet the experts:
- Zola Ganzorigt is a Los-Angeles based nail artist
- Jin Soon Choi is a Korean editorial nail artist and founder of JINSoon
- Morgan Dixon is a nail artist and owner of Lab & Lounge salon in New Orleans
- Danielle Candido is a New York City-based editorial nail artist
- Rita Remark is a New York-based nail artist
- Hang Nguyen is a Los Angeles-based nail artist
- Erica Hipp is a Brooklyn-based nail artist
1. Metallics: Shine bright with a touch chrome.
The chrome trend that took off in 2022 shines on in a more subtle way. Instead of an all-over finish, an accent of foil is the way to go. “It’s subtle while imparting a 3D appearance,” says nail artist Jin Soon Choi, who created the look seen above at Peter Do’s Spring 2023 show. Stamp each nail with foil flakes (available at the craft store) in random placements to “add an element of coolness to your nails,” says Choi.
2. Pastels: Add a pretty finish to spring’s favorite palette.
LOVE THESE NEW IMAGES!